Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Edward Sorel

Here is an excellent post by Peter de Seve on Edward Sorel

As an art student fresh out of high school in the late '70's, I was slowly becoming more and more aware of artwork outside of comic books and paperback covers. Before too long, I found myself introduced to the work of Ed Sorel and began a long and successful campaign of studying and stealing from him. There was an energy and fearlessness in his line work that was irresistible to me. How could anyone draw so loosely and yet so sculpturally at the same time? His pictures looked as if Giacometti had discovered spectacles and a sense of humor.


I love this:


... his illustrations were always a reminder to me of the beauty in errant lines; the ones you have to put down on the page while you search for your subject.

No comments: